DHS SecureChat, powered by Rocket Chat, is a persistent chat application designed to enhance intra-office communication. Below is a quick how-to guide to help you get started.
Starting & Logging into DHS SecureChat
- Open Start menu and look for Rocket Chat
- Once the app is launched you can pin to the taskbar by right clicking the icon and choosing ping to taskbar.
- You will be asked to login to your server. Please refer to the welcome email to find the server for your office. The format will be https://chat.officename.com:3000/
- After the DHS SecureChat app loads, log in with your email address and password.
One on One Chat and File Sharing
- Click the directory button to get a list of all team members, then click on a desired user to start a new chat.
- People you message will be displayed under "Direct Messages" area on the left.
- Alternatively, you can use the new chat and direct message option
- Then find the user in the list or search via their name
Files and Downloads
- To send files like images or videos select the + button next to the chat and click on "Add file from Computer". You can send multiple files using by selecting them using Ctrl and selecting multiple files. You may also send files by simply dragging and dropping the files you wish to send into the chat window.
- To save a file someone sends you click the download button. All downloads are saved in this download folder.
- You can have a group conversation in a Channel. They can be Private (invited members only) or Public (open to everyone on the team). Multiple Channels can also be joined together into a team if desired.
- To make a channel public, toggle the "Private" option off.
- To Join an existing room, click Directory > Channels and click on the channel you want to Join.
- To leave a room, click on the dots next to the room and click leave.
- When you have unread chat messages, you'll see the icon below on your computer taskbar reflecting your unread messages. You will receive a notification for every chat in any channels you are in.
- Multiple rooms of different importance can be created. To turn off notification for rooms of low importance, click on the dots to the right of room settings and click Notification Preferences option. From there you can turn off notifications.
- When notifications are turned off, you can also check for new messages by observing if the name of the Channel or user is Bolded.
Mobile Phone App
You can get the mobile phone app by following the links below or by searching for "RocketChat" in the Apple App store or Google Play store.
Apple - https://apps.apple.com/app/rocket-chat/id1148741252
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=chat.rocket.android
This page has no comments.